Have you ever told a joke…Or talked about your favorite vacation spot, and received the response:
“That is so you!”
Personally, we love hearing that! We think of it as branding for your personality. It’s so nice to be recognized and remembered for a specific characteristic (hopefully positive).
Now imagine if you could bring that same energy into your marketing message!
Imagine if your clients immediately thought of you the moment they came across a certain writing style.
Here, let’s do a super fun exercise. We’ll give you 3 unique writing examples and we’ll let you guess the writers.
- Example 1: “My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep; the more I give to thee, The more I have, for both are infinite.”
- Example 2: “You put up walls and paint them all a shade of gray and I stood there loving you and wished them all away.”
- Example 3: “There is no exquisite beauty…without some strangeness in the proportion.”
Did you recognize any of the writers?
We’ll give you a few more seconds to think about it before the BIG REVEAL…
Alright, ready? Here we go!
- Example 1 is old-timey, it’s effusive…it’s the incomparable Shakespeare!
- Example 2 is dreamy, it’s candid, it’s heartfelt…it’s Taylor Swift!
- Example 3 is darker, regretful, filled with yearning…it’s Edgar Allan Poe!
Each of these people has strongly branded themselves on their unique writing style. Even if you didn’t immediately place them – A feeling of familiarity probably washed over you as you read those lines.
And that is the beauty of your writing. You’re unique. You have amazing gems tucked away in your mind. It’s time to channel your marketing message in your most authentic voice.
Recognizable. Memorable. And so you!
What are 3 adjectives you’d use to describe your writing? Leave it in the comments. This simple exercise could greatly shape your marketing voice in 2023!